First Baptist Church of Lebanon CT
A member of The American Baptist Churches of the USA
Founded as a Baptist church in 1805, this church has celebrated over 210 years of ministry and service. It was started as a splinter group as a direct result of the famous "Church War" of 1804-05 and was called the Independent Baptist Society of Lebanon. In 1894 the Society was dissolved and the First Baptist Church was incorporated. Union meetings with other churches have been recorded since 1874 and we continue this tradition today, recognizing that while there are differences among us, we are all part of the body of Christ.
The original "White Meeting House" stood 500 feet north of the present site. The existing sanctuary was dedicated in 1841. The pulpit furniture dates back to 1870. A major refurbishing took place in 1926 and a baptistry was installed in 1980. An addition of a "chapel" was constructed in 1907 using lumber from a dismanteled cheese factory.
In 2010 a new building was completed, housing a Fellowship Hall, kitchen, Pastor's study, a classroom, storage rooms and rest room facilities. The existing "Chapel" was renovated to provide Sunday School classrooms. It is in the new Hall where we gather with family and friends for potluck dinners and our weekly "after church coffee hours".